Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Ontologies - don't always work the way you want them to

I talked to the guys from Cyc today since there Cyc-System would not let me rebuild "my world". I already tried compiling the world in serveral systems, as were:
  • Ubuntu 7.1
  • Debian 4.0
  • Windows XP SP2
  • Windows Vista
Most of the times the unpacking of the zips didn't work and I got a CRC-error. Therefore I contacted Cyc and they said they would like into the issue and tell me what was going on.

Let's see what the folks have to say tomorrow. So far I was able to resurrect an old backup of my Cyc-Database which seems to work just fine.
Working with this all day long I found out that I might need a server for running Cyc on. Having the whole system in a virtual machine on my desktop just isn't what I would call "fast".

Cyc just released a new Version of their "world" (V.1.1.2) which I already downloaded but could not get to work either. It's kind of frustrating.
Last time I dealt with it, it worked like charm. I'll give you an update.

No comments: