Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A short explanation of how this is all supposed to work

Hey folks,

for those of you who have followed my website, here an update of what the solution is going to look like.
For those of you who see this for the first time - well, be glad you don't have to witness the omnipotence of change in our business *smile*.

The slide above shows a rough sketch of how the tools are supposed to interconnect, exchange their data and finally lead to the UML/Program code of our choice.
The orange "NLP" box represents all possibilites to process natural language. As I already mentioned, there are many - one of which will be taken into closer consideration for AutoModel. We are still comparing the various methods, trying to find the one that works best for us. That's going to be a student thesis.

At this moment, textual transformation (and therefore understanding) takes place by annotating the thematic/theta-roles in the given text. This is still a process which needs a lot of manual labour, but we are already working on an automatic approach to that.

How thematic roles look like, what this is all about and how we later transform these into graphs (all parts of Tom's work), I will tell you in the next post.

Another thing (and quite annoying I have to admit) I was struggling with today was creating the initial dissertation template in LaTex so that I can already start casting my thoughts on paper.
As probably everybody else on this planet using Windows I use MikTeX and TeXnicCenter to get this job done. I still haven't managed to include my JabRef bib-files as literature-list. Well, I guess Rome wasn't built in a day either.

That's it for tonight.

No comments: