Thursday, November 25, 2010

Results, Presentations, and Assessment

...of past visited conferences.
The slides and papers of the CIKM 2010 and FoSER (FSE) are available now. You can find them here.

A short, brief summary of each conference in a collection of adjectives follows now. I do not want to spend to much time describing the actual conferences, just give you a little idea of what it felt like.

CIKM2010:
  • Toronto, Canada
  • Free WiFi everywhere (bus, hotel, ...)
  • NLP processing software engineers in the information retrieval world: outsiders with a special touch
  • interesting insights
  • first poster demo ever; interesting and funny
  • met a guy from Turkey who studied in Germany and now lives in Finland
  • spend 95% of my time inside (what was daylight again?)
  • sweet potato fries (never had that b4!)
ACM SigSoft FoSER/FSE:
  • Santa Fe
  • cool, but sunny
  • met all the people I ever cited in person
  • not so visionary visionaries after all
  • large workshop (150ppl.)
  • hotel bed too soft
  • nice restaurants
  • Santa Fe is literally in the middle of nowhere
  • forgot book on flight (yeah, in that seat pocket in front of me)
So that was just a short, random wrap-up. I might contribute some more once I can think of it.
Now it's back to my dissertation.

No comments: